When it comes to garden ideas, let’s all make the effort to go green! If we adopt eco-friendly gardening practices and tools, our gardens are sure to be healthier and more sustainable in the long run. In this blog post, I’m going to share a few innovative eco friendly garden ideas that will help revolutionize your outdoor spaces for the better – making them look fantastic, but with no compromise on sustainability or environmental impact.
Note: This post is sponsored by Sprout World, featuring some of their eco-friendly pencils!
There are so many ways you can make your garden look beautiful while also preserving the environment – whether that’s by allowing native plants and wildlife back into your space or even just switching up your choice of materials.
So go ahead and take a read through my suggestions; helping you start creating an amazing outdoor living area that does good for both yourself & planet Earth alike!
Sustainable Garden Ideas
Below are just a few suggestions to grow an eco friendly garden in your yard.
1. Choose eco-friendly materials: When it comes to eco-friendly gardens, the materials you use are just as important as your choice of plants. Wooden furniture and compost bins made with sustainable wood or composite decking can look great while reducing your negative environmental impact.
2. Grow native plants: A great way to promote eco-awareness in your garden is to fill it with native plants that have evolved naturally in your region’s environment. Not only will this benefit local wildlife, but it also eliminates the need for chemical treatments typically used on exotic varieties – reducing your eco-footprint even further!
3. Reuse & recycle items: Don’t be afraid to reuse old pots and planters from previous years. Not only will this help save on costs, but it’ll also reduce the amount of plastic going into landfills – and if you’re crafty enough you can even create eco-friendly planters out of recycled materials!
4. Composting: Put your food scraps and garden clippings to good use by composting them in a dedicated bin or pile. This not only saves on the cost of fertilizers, but also helps bring vital nutrients back into the soil which is important for healthy plant growth.
5. Rainwater harvesting: Last but not least, an eco-friendly garden isn’t complete without rainwater harvesting. By installing eco-friendly rain barrels or cisterns, you’ll be able to capture and use rainwater for your garden, significantly reducing the amount of water you need from the tap.
Creating an eco-friendly garden doesn’t have to be difficult – just make a few small changes here and there, and soon enough your outdoor living area will look much better while helping preserve the environment around it. So go ahead and start experimenting with eco-friendly gardening ideas today! Your future self (and planet) will thank you for it.
Turning used items into gardening resources is another great way to grow an eco friendly garden. This includes reusing old pots and planters from previous years, and even looking for eco friendly containers like up-cycled milk cartons.
Additionally, you can also construct eco-friendly planters out of recycled materials such as tin cans and wood pallets. Doing this will not only help reduce the amount of plastic going into landfills but it will also add a unique touch to your garden.
There are also items out there that are made specifically so that they can be used in green garden landscaping. Sprout World is a company that makes colored pencils, eyeliner pencils, and eyebrow pencils that can be used in the garden after they can no longer be used for their first purpose.
Once you are finished using the pencil, the end can be planted since it contains seeds. The pencils contain 10 different seeds that grow flowers, herbs, and vegetables. How cool is that!
Pencils come from seeds, and these pencils can be turned back into trees and other plants when you include them in your garden!
Other things that make Sprout World pencils stand out from others include that they are:
- Allergy Certified
- Made from only natural ingredients
- Materials from ethical sources
- Developed without microplastics
- Minimum waste and sustainable packaging
You can check out all the pencils you can buy from Sprout World on their website. They have been around since 2013 and sold over 40 million plantable Sprout World pencils in over 80 countries!
Another eco friendly garden idea is composting. Composting helps bring vital nutrients back into the soil which is essential for healthy plant growth. Start by creating a dedicated bin or pile in your yard where you can put in food scraps, grass cuttings and other organic matter. This will eventually break down and turn into nutrient-rich compost you can use in your garden.
You can also toss the used Sprout World pencils into your composting pile to use to help your new seeds grow into healthy flowers, herbs, and vegetables.
Rain Water Harvesting
Finally, eco friendly gardens also include rainwater harvesting. This involves installing eco friendly rain barrels or cisterns that capture rainwater for the purpose of using it for watering the plants in the garden. Since most of the water used to irrigate gardens comes from the tap, this can help reduce water consumption significantly.
With these eco friendly gardening ideas, you can enjoy a beautiful outdoor living area while helping preserve our planet at the same time! So go ahead and start experimenting with eco friendly gardening ideas now – your future self (and planet) will thank you for it!
Eco Friendly Garden Questions
Here are some questions to help you get started on growing a sustainable garden in your backyard.
How do I start an eco friendly garden?
Start by making small changes to your gardening routine such as reusing old pots and planters, investing in eco friendly containers, and composting. Additionally, you can also install eco-friendly rain barrels or cisterns that capture rainwater for the purpose of using it for watering the plants in the garden.
How do you start a sustainable affordable garden?
A great way to start a sustainable, affordable garden is by reusing old pots and planters from previous years and looking for eco-friendly containers like up-cycled milk cartons. Additionally, you can also construct eco-friendly planters out of recycled materials such as tin cans and wood pallets.
What is eco friendly landscaping called?
Eco friendly landscaping is also called green garden landscaping or sustainable gardening. It includes eco-friendly practices such as using eco-friendly planters and containers, composting, rainwater harvesting, and choosing organic materials for the garden such as soil and mulch. With these eco friendly gardening ideas, you can enjoy a beautiful outdoor living area while helping preserve our planet at the same time!
Is at-home gardening eco friendly?
Yes, at-home gardening can be eco friendly! There are many eco friendly practices you can incorporate into your garden such as reusing old pots and planters, investing in eco-friendly containers, composting, rainwater harvesting, and choosing organic materials for the garden such as soil and mulch.
Eco friendly gardening is a great way to create a beautiful outdoor living space while also helping protect our planet. With eco-friendly options like reusing items, using eco-friendly containers, and composting, you can create the perfect green garden that will help reduce your eco-footprint.
Additionally, eco friendly rain barrels or cisterns can be used to capture rainwater for use in the garden which can help reduce water consumption significantly. So start experimenting with eco friendly gardening ideas today – your future self (and planet) will thank you for it!